Sunday, May 11, 2008

Updates again

Tomorrow we're starting to work on the trails with the park rangers, and after that we are going to canoe down the Rio Grande. I'm so excited for our laundry day on Wednesday! Taking a shower yesterday was the most blissful experience I've had in a long time. This break is much appreciated.

Last night we made pasta and sauce with garlic pita for dinner, and had cobbler and ice cream afterwards. It was amazing, after many meals of yard-o-beef and cous cous while we were backcountry. Yard-o-beef is like spam, only greasier, if that's possible, and after it's been hiked 10 miles in 100+ heat, it's... an experience, really. It also makes a great weapon if you need to kill something in the night.

While we were putting things away last night, I opened up a bear box (massive bearproof boxes for food) to stick some groceries into it, and discovered a huge web with a black widow spider right in the middle of it. That bin is now off limits until a ranger deals with it, but the experience certainly reminded me to stay on my toes- had I not been paying attention, I would have ended up in the hospital with a black widow bite.

I had the supreme luxury of sleeping in a tent last night. Three nights ago, our first two nights, I slept every night in the tent with my sleeping bag up to my ears, terrified of bugs. After two nights of sleeping in the bushes on the ground under the stars, I was much less scared in a tent, and slept on top of my bag in a sheet... It was the best nights rest I've had so far on this trip.

No comments: